Frequently Asked Questions - Scotland

Covid-19 FAQs for Scotland - please click here for more info

Useful online resource:
Send your questions to a librarian at Ask Scotland and they will use their library collections to research your query and send back a personal response. Ask Scotland is coordinated by the Scottish Library and Information Council (SLIC), the advisory body to the Scottish Government on libraries, and is staffed by librarians and library assistants in Scotland's libraries. It is a non-profit service, jointly funded by the Scottish Government through the Public Library Quality Improvement Matrix and the participating libraries.

List of Frequently Asked Questions about Scotland:

Need info for a school project? Check out these fact sheets about Scotland

Where can I get free brochures?

Where can I get married?

How can I relocate to Scotland?

What clan do I belong to?

Where can I see Highland Games?
There are some Games in Scotland in May and September, but most take place June - August:
see the Games list by date or place name

A ban on smoking in enclosed public places in Scotland began on 26 March 2006. If you have questions about the No Smoking rules, please read the official FAQs.

UK accommodation terminology:
Double room = 1 large bed for 2 people
Twin room = 2 separate single beds
Triple room = beds for 3 people (1 double + 1 single, or 3 singles)
Family room = bedroom for a family (usually at least 1 double bed and at least 1 single bed)
The term "ensuite bedroom" or "ensuite facilities" means that your bathroom (shower and/or bath, plus WC) can be accessed without leaving your bedroom
The term "private bathroom" or "private facilities" means that you will need to leave your bedroom and go into the corridor to access your bathroom (shower and/or bath, plus WC) and this bathroom is for your use only (not any other guests).

Where can I stay in a Scottish castle?
Click here for a useful list of castle accommodation (hotels, B&B, self catering and/or exclusive hire)

Where can I stay in a lighthouse?
Buchan Ness Lighthouse Holidays offer a self catering cottage in Aberdeenshire.
The National Trust of Scotland also has some Scottish lighthouses available for self catering holidays.

Where can I go on a spiritual retreat?

Where can I go on an old steam train?

Where can I learn English in Scotland?
Click here for English language schools

What about Gaelic?
Gaelic can still be heard in some parts of Scotland, particularly in the Outer Hebrides (Western Isles) and Isle of Skye. It can also be seen on road signs in many parts of the Highlands and Islands.

Outdoor Activities:

What are Midges?

Where can I find webcams?
Visit Undiscovered Scotland's links list of webcams in Scotland

What's the weather like in Scotland?
In a word - unpredictable! Click here

How do I get tide tables?
Visit the BBC weather web site or the UK Hydrographic Office.

Aurora Borealis / Northern Lights
They peak with the 11-year sunspot cycle so 2013 was a good time to see them. For more info, see these links:

Travel Tips:


For travel and transport details on specific places, see the appropriate regional pages.

What about Scottish Culture?
See the FAQ by Craig Cockburn which covers just about everything about Scotland.